Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Science of Shopping

The most important points in this article were the Invariant Right, the Decompression Zone, typing, and "point of view." The Invariant Right says that shoppers almost always turn right when entering a store; therefore, the retailer should put its most attractive products to the right of the entrance. Also, this goes with Underhill's idea that stores should always be on the right-hand side because shoppers tend to walk on the right-hand side. The Decompression Zone is the area outside of the store where the shopper must "decompress" or notice a product that they like, slow down from walking speed to shopping speed, and enter the store. Typing is what retailers use to describe their potential shoppers by putting them into categories and subcategories. They use typing to describe what the people in these areas like to do. The "point of view" of a store is how the shopper feels when they enter. The store should not feel like a store; instead, it should be an experience. For example, the Kelvin Klien store's display is simmilar to that of an art gallery, giving the shopper a more personal experience.

Personally, when I enter a store for the first time, the design and the items on display in the windows usually attract me to the store. If I like the atmosphere of the store, I am more likely to buy a product from that store because I feel comfortable there. Also, the products themselves play a big role in what I buy. If I like the products and the design of the store, I am way more likely to buy a product than if I only liked the product.

My checklist to analyze a retail store is as follows:
1. Is the store on the right?
2. Is there good products in the store?
3. Are the most attractive products in the front?
4. Are the necessary products in the back?
5. How does the store make you feel?

No comments: